Ludlow Community Association: How it All Began
In the 1950's, blacks slowly trickled into the Ludlow neighborhood, but a single event quickly altered the racial makeup of the area forever. In 1956, a home being built for a black lawyer in Ludlow was bombed, destroying the property and disturbing the tranquil neighborhood. After the bombing, white flight ensued. At this point, whites and blacks began a partnership which ultimately became the LCA.
"We became aware and concerned about [the bombing] only when we noticed the substantial number of 'for sale signs' that were sprouting up on the street behind us. Our neighbors informed us that everyone was moving on that street and that a Negro minister had purchased a home almost behind us."
Excerpt from "The Reunion: Shaker Heights"
Groups of Ludlow residents recognized white flight early and felt a responsibility to even out the racial balance in the neighborhood. The LCA started with a few small meetings but grew to a full fledged committee with a mission of integration, specifically focused on housing in the Ludlow neighborhood. The LCA successfully regulated the buying and selling of houses in a way that was conducive to integration, as the members of the committee believed that it was their responsibility to create and maintain a diverse neighborhood.
"The next meeting was held at the home of Dr. Martin. He and his wife were a handsome Negro couple who lived behind us. Approximately ten people showed up, counting spouses. After a rehash of the problems, we decided that the first problem that we must tackle is to nip the panic selling."